Dental crowns, or caps, are a restorative dental treatment for protecting and strengthening damaged or weakened teeth. These custom-made coverings fit perfectly over the entire visible portion of the tooth from the gum lineup. Crowns are typically made of various materials, including porcelain, ceramic, metal or a combination, depending on the patient’s needs and preferences. In this post, we will discuss the benefits of dental crowns in Cardiff for restoring function and enhancing aesthetics.
Dental crowns have numerous benefits for restoring the function of damaged or weakened teeth. Some of the key benefits include:
- Strengthening Weak Teeth: If a tooth has been weakened by decay or a large filling, a crown can provide the necessary support and protection to prevent further damage. The crown covers the entire tooth surface, distributing the force of biting and chewing evenly and providing additional strength.
- Restoring Shape and Size: Teeth that have been significantly worn down or broken can be converted to their original shape and size with a dental crown. This can improve the overall function of the teeth, making it easier to chew and bite.
- Holding a Bridge in Place: Dental crowns can be used as anchors to support a dental bridge, a treatment used to replace missing teeth. The crowns are placed on the adjacent teeth, creating a secure and stable base for the bridge.
- Protecting a Root Canal: The tooth can become brittle and prone to breaking after a root canal treatment. A dental crown can be placed over the treated tooth to provide additional protection and support.
In addition to restoring function, dental crowns can dramatically improve teeth’ appearance. Some of the key benefits include:
- Hiding Imperfections: Crowns can be used to cover a variety of imperfections, including cracks, discolouration, chips, and misshapen teeth. The crown is custom-made to blend seamlessly with the surrounding teeth, creating a natural and attractive appearance.
- Improving Smile: A bright, well-aligned smile can significantly impact a person’s confidence and self-esteem. Dental crowns can straighten and whiten teeth, creating a more attractive smile.
- Lengthening Teeth: Short or worn-down teeth can be lengthened with dental crowns, making the teeth appear more proportional and aesthetically pleasing.
- Replacing Metal Fillings: Crowns can replace old metal fillings with a more natural-looking tooth-coloured material. This not only improves the appearance of the teeth but also prevents further damage to the tooth structure.
Dental crowns are known for their durability and longevity. With proper care and regular dental check-ups, dental crowns can last for many years. They are resistant to stains and are highly resistant to wear and tear. By maintaining good oral hygiene practices and avoiding habits such as teeth grinding or chewing on complex objects, you can extend the lifespan of your dental crowns and enjoy the benefits they offer for an extended period.
Improved Oral Health
Beyond restoring damaged teeth and enhancing aesthetics, dental crowns also improve oral health. Catching and protecting damaged or weakened teeth, crowns help prevent further decay and damage. They also provide a smooth and easy-to-clean surface, making oral hygiene practices more effective. With proper oral care and regular dental visits, dental crowns can help maintain optimal oral health and prevent future dental issues.
Dental crowns are a versatile and effective solution for restoring the function and aesthetics of damaged or imperfect teeth. At Cyncoed Dental & Aesthetic Skin Clinic, our experienced team is dedicated to providing high-quality dental care and helping you achieve a healthy and beautiful smile. Whether you need to restore a damaged tooth or enhance the appearance of your smile, dental crowns offer numerous benefits. Contact us today to schedule a consultation and discover how dental crowns can transform oral health and boost confidence. Remember, a healthy and radiant smile starts with proper dental care and our skilled dental professionals.
- How long do dental crowns last?
The lifespan of dental crowns can vary depending on various factors, including oral hygiene practices, habits, and the material used. On average, dental crowns can last between 10 to 15 years or even longer with proper care and regular dental check-ups.
- Will getting a dental crown be painful?
The process of getting a dental crown is usually not painful. Before the procedure, your dentist will administer local anaesthetic to numb the area, ensuring you are comfortable throughout the treatment. Some patients may experience minimal sensitivity or discomfort after the procedure, but it should subside within a few days.
- How are dental crowns placed?
The placement of dental crowns usually requires two dental visits. During the first visit, your dentist will prepare the tooth by removing any decay or damaged portions and shaping it to accommodate the crown. Impressions of the tooth will be taken to create a custom-made crown. A temporary crown will be placed to protect the tooth while the permanent crown is being fabricated. In the second visit, the temporary crown is removed, and the permanent crown is bonded securely onto the tooth.
- Can dental crowns be used for front teeth?
Yes, dental crowns can be used on front teeth. They are often used to improve the aesthetics of front teeth that are discoloured, misshapen, or have other cosmetic issues. Porcelain or ceramic crowns are commonly used for front teeth as they match the colour and clarity of natural teeth, resulting in a seamless and natural-looking smile.
- How do I care for dental crowns?
Caring for dental crowns is similar to caring for natural teeth. It involves regular brushing with a soft-bristle toothbrush, flossing daily, and using an antibacterial mouthwash. It is also essential to maintain regular dental check-ups to ensure the health of the surrounding teeth and gums. Avoiding habits such as teeth grinding, biting on complex objects, and smoking can help prolong the lifespan of dental crowns.