If you think you are taking good care of your oral health, we might have some bad news for you. However, you are not the only one, and of course, we are here to change the way you maintain your dental hygiene.
Here are 6 things you are (probably) doing the wrong way:
- Brushing your teeth straight after breakfast: Before brushing your teeth, wait at least one hour after you have eaten breakfast. You should wait at least one hour after eating something acidic, such as orange juice or fruit, before brushing your teeth. This is because the acid in your food can soften the enamel. If you brush too quickly, you may damage the enamel. Your teeth will become very sensitive over time. We recommend that you avoid anything acidic at breakfast.
- Your gums could be damaged by hard brushes: Contrary to hair, the damage caused to your teeth and gum is irreversible. Make sure to use a soft toothbrush and change it every three months to keep it as effective as possible.
- After brushing, rinse your mouth with water: While most people think it is unnecessary to rinse their mouth after brushing, this removes the fluoride. It is also worth mentioning that you should wait for at least 30 minutes before eating or drinking anything.
- After brushing your teeth, use mouthwash: It can be used in the same way as rinsing your teeth after brushing. Fluoride-rich mouthwashes can help prevent tooth decay. They can be used separately to brush, ideally at midday or later in the afternoon.
- Snacking and grazing are bad for your teeth. Acid forms when bacteria are released into the food. The acid will be neutralised by saliva. Within an hour, your mouth will be cleaned. The problem comes when you eat again, then you have an acid attack. This is when decay occurs because the acid in your mouth exceeds the time it has been neutral.
- Tap water is better than bottled water. Water from the tap is better for your teeth, even though it may be surprising to you. Tap water contains fluoride. Only a few areas of the U.K. are equipped with water fluoridation, such as Birmingham and Southampton. Fluoride can reduce tooth decay
You are now aware of the good and bad dental habits. At Cyncoed Dental Practice, you will get the best service from our best dentists in Cardiff who are trained to perform such procedures. If you get in touch with us, you’ll get expert service and care at affordable prices.